Re: Accessing tcp socket information from within a module

From: Vishwas Raman
Date: Sat Oct 04 2003 - 18:10:07 EST

David S. Miller wrote:
On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 17:02:07 -0700
Vishwas Raman <vishwas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Is there some way of accessing the information of all open tcp sockets in the system, other than having to turn one of IPV6 or KHTTPD on?

You don't even need to write your kernel module, there is already
a special netlink socket provided to userspace exactly for this
purpose, to get info on all TCP sockets efficiently.

See net/ipv4/tcp_diag.c

But what if I am interested in doing the same in kernel space and not user space? The module I am writing is going to sit between the tcp and ip layers of the networking stack. And I need to get info on all TCP sockets and create/modify certain data structures of my own in the module based on that information.