Re: Oops linux 2.4.23-pre6 on amd64

From: Tony Hoyle
Date: Sat Oct 04 2003 - 17:35:59 EST

Andi Kleen wrote:
Oops, scratch that last one... It's invalid too as I used the original oops rather than the new one. This one's the right one (honest!).

I cannot see anything obviously wrong. At which kernel version did the
problem start? And is your compiler version known to be not buggy ?

AFAIK there is only one version that supports compiling to amd64 (only one for debian anyway) - I'm on 3.3.2-0pre4.biarch1. It is a bit flaky (in 32bit it'll happily do a make -j255 without worrying... going to 64 bit needs about 10 attempts to do a single compile because it keeps falling over with internal compiler errors/segfaults/etc.).

The problem with a brand new architecture is until the toolset stabliizes I have to cross my fingers and hope. Certainly if it's compiling dodgy code it'll explain why Alsa is about as stable as a drunk in a high wind...

OK I'll forget it for now & go back to 32bit for a couple of months then try again.

Tony