Re: trying to get udev running with 2.6.0-test6

From: Greg KH
Date: Sat Oct 04 2003 - 16:41:33 EST

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 08:20:31PM -0600, reg@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Im trying to get udev working with 2.6.0 (as a replacement for devfs).

First off, linux-kernel is probably not the place to be asking this.
You should try this on the linux-hotplug-devel list and at least cc: the
author of udev. Anyway...

> Im following the instructions as I read them, but *nada*.

What instructions? :)

> So, I must be mis-interpreting something...
>
> OK, I made sysfs, actually I added the line
>
> none /sysfs sysfs defaults 0 0
>
> to /etc/fstab, and did a 'mount -a'.
> There is 'stuff' below this node.

Try mounting it at /sys instead, that's the "recommended" place for it,
but udev should still be able to figure out where it is.

> I built udev-0.2, and put udev in /sbin/udev
>
> I put /sbin/udev into /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug (replacing /bin/true) with
>
> echo /sbin/udev > /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug
>
> doing a cat /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug shows that it is there.
>
> I have then plugged and unplugged a USB device and /udev does not appear.
> So I did a 'mkdir /udev'.
> Plug and unplug again.
>
> Still nothing.
>
> So, what am I missing???

The fact that the config files are hardcoded to be looked for at
/home/greg/src/udev/ and you probably do not have that path on your
system? :)

> [[ there are numerous messages in the /var/log/messages for each plug/unplug
> of the USB device ]]

Are they from udev? What do they say? Any errors?

Yes, I need to write a better install script and instructions, sorry.
It's on my list of things to do...

thanks,

greg k-h