Re: must-fix list reconciliation

From: Randy.Dunlap
Date: Fri Oct 03 2003 - 18:13:11 EST

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 08:55:14 +1000 Nick Piggin <piggin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

| Randy.Dunlap wrote:

| >|
| >| I'm a little disappointed that after I spent time converting them into
| >| the wiki form, you're now proposing abandoning them again. This seems
| >| like a retrograde step.
| >|

| To be honest I don't really like the wiki. I'd rather changes go through
| lkml where its easier to discuss them and keep up with them. Thats just my
| preference though. I don't know what anyone else thinks.

I don't quite see how they belong in the kernel source tree,
although I don't mind... That's not where I would expect to find
the list, though. I would expect it more on kernel.org e.g.

| >| What I'd be more interested in doing is combining the must- and should-
| >| fix lists. As a first pass, just put all the must-fix items on the
| >| should-fix list at pri 4. One of the things I did was delete the things
| >| that appeared on both lists. This would obviously be easier if they
| >| were in one list ;-)
| >

| Yes, and even easier if there was just one editor.
| eg. there 2 drivers/acpi sections in the mustfix list on wiki.

One editor if it's in a "file" vs. being in a wiki.

| I'd like to keep the 2 lists seperate. The must-fix list is concise and easy
| to scan the whole thing. I guess this isn't a problem if there is one
| editor.
|
| >Agreed on that. I think the location is not the problem (whether
| >source tree or wiki), it's just an extra step to keep them updated,
| >and having no owner (or _many_ owners) often doesn't work.
| >Is one of you (or the two of you) willing to be the owner/editor?
| >

| If it ends up going into a source tree, I can be the editor / maintainer.

of only must-fix and not should-fix??
I wouldn't want to see should-fix abandoned.

--
~Randy