problem with USB on Sony Vaio laptop

From: Mariusz Kozlowski
Date: Fri Oct 03 2003 - 10:26:05 EST

Hello,

I've been using linux succesfully for quite long time. Recently I decided to
move to 2.6.x kernel series and all is fine but USB support. The problem
looks like this:

- Without USB support linux boots fine.

- With USB support linux stops booting at some time and computer is just
frozen. Keyboard doesn't work. The only thing I can observe is that just
during loading USB modules hard disk starts working louder until the manual
power_off which is necessary because machine is dead at that time.

All was fine with 2.4.x series. The problems started when I moved to 2.6.x. I
tried all 2.6.x versions released until now. None of them works fine with my
machine with USB support enabled.

here is a little output from console during booting sequence:

drivers/usb/core/usb.c: registered new driver hub
ehci_hcd 0000:00:0c.2: EHCI Host Controller
ehci_hcd 0000:00:0c.2: irq 11, pci mem df9e7800
ehci_hcd 0000:00:0c.2: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
ehci_hcd 0000:00:0c.2: USB 2.0 enabled, EHCI 0.95, driver 2003-Jun-13
hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 1-0:1.0: 4 ports detected
drivers/usb/host/uhci-hcd.c: USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver
v2.1
uhci-hcd 0000:00:0c.0: UHCI Host Controller

That's the last thing i can see. After this computer is dead.

some more details:
- Sony Vaio PCG-FR285M laptop
- linux 2.6.0-test6-bk4
- no devices connected to USB ports during booting sequence
- gcc 3.2.2
- module-init-tools-0.9.15-pre2

Any suggestions on this? If you need some more information please feel free to
ask me.

Best Regards,

Mariusz Kozlowski