Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [ANNOUNCE] Xen high-performance x86 virtualization

From: Andreas Hauser
Date: Fri Oct 03 2003 - 06:55:18 EST

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 11:29:24AM +0100, Ian Pratt wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 09:13:10AM +0100, Ian Pratt wrote:
> > [...]
> > > We built Xen for use in the XenoServers project, which aims to
> > > create an 'Open Infrastructure for Global Distributed Computing'.
> > > We envisage Xenoserver execution platforms scattered across the
> > > globe and available for any member of the public to execute code
> > > on. The sponsor of the code will be billed for all the resources
> > > used or reserved during the course of execution. You'd be able to
> > > create on-demand 'dedicated servers' with tailored amounts of
> > > RAM, CPU, net b/w, disk b/w and disk space, and run the OS of
> > > your choice. For example, you could buy a slice of a machine to
> > > run a counterstrike server for a few minutes while you play a
> > > game with a couple of friends. You'd pick the server location
> > > such as to minimize the maximum RTT between the server and the
> > > players.
> >
> > So does this run over openmosix ?
>
> XenoServers is more about global-scale distributed computing
> rather than clusters.
>
> However, there's no reason why you can't apply the OpenMosix
> patches to a xen -patched linux, and hence emulate a cluster on a
> multi-processor machine. This isn't as daft as it sounds, as if
> you have a highly parallel ccNUMA machine you might actually be
> better off in terms of performance by carving it up into a set of
> smaller multi processor virtual machines that you then glue back
> together with something like OpenMosix.

I was more thinking of running Xen on one node of a cluster,
using it as the management tool.
Each user gets his own VM on the master node,
and can only access that.
A real value would be if one could use the
cluster resources from within a e.g. freebsd guest.

So the question would be, can the processes of the
guest OS be migrated to to other nodes?
(openmosix can only migrate the userspace part of a process)

Anyways i will try it next week.

aha