Re: Who changed /proc/<pid>/ in 2.6.0-test5-bk9?

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Oct 02 2003 - 19:41:52 EST

On 2 Oct 2003, Albert Cahalan wrote:

> No. I mean "ban" like we ban CLONE_THREAD w/o CLONE_DETACHED.

No. Let's not do that.

We ban only things that do not make sense. That was true of trying to
share signal handlers with different address spaces. But it is _not_ true
of having separate file descriptors for different threads.

I don't imagine anybody cares _that_ deeply about fuser that it can't
afford to recurse into thread directories.

And it may or may not make sense to not have a "/proc/<nn>/task/<yy>/fd"
directory at all if the thread shares file descriptors with the thread
group leader. That would be a fairly easy optimization.

Linus