Re: Linux 2.6.0-test6

From: Pedro Larroy
Date: Thu Oct 02 2003 - 14:08:52 EST

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 01:05:36PM +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:

> Pedro Larroy wrote:
> >Why not run xmms with SCHED_RR or SCHED_FIFO?
> >

> Well because playing an mp3 really is a pitiful task for modern CPUs,
> and the standard scheduler should handle this fine. Also a music skip
> isn't terribly important.
>
> Realtime applications are difficult to make robust and they can easily
> hang the system.

I think there are better aproaches for deciding when a task should be
interactive than the current one based in how much does the task sleep.

I'm afraid this selection criteria leads to a scheduler that isn't
predictable for situations that aren't the ones for which is tuned to work.
Of course I may be wrong, but to me, seems that saying explicitly
which tasks are interactive sounds better.

--
Pedro Larroy Tovar | piotr%member.fsf.org

Software patents are a threat to innovation in Europe please check:
http://www.eurolinux.org/