Re: Can't X be elemenated?

From: Erik Steffl
Date: Thu Oct 02 2003 - 13:38:06 EST

Helge Hafting wrote:
kartikey bhatt wrote:

hey everyone who have joined this thread, my fundamental question have got
out of scope. I mean to say

1. Kernel level support for graphics device drivers.
2. On top of that, one can develop complete lightweight GUI.
3. Maybe kernel can provide support for event handling.

and I still stick to my opinion that graphics card is a computer resource
that needs to be managed by OS rather than 3rd party developers.

The card is managed by the os - X has to ask the kernel nicely to get it.
(Try starting another X server inside an xterm and see how
that is refused.)

that has nothing to do with kernel. If you are running display 0 and start another X (without specifying display, it default to 0) it doesn't work since there cannot be two servers on same machine both being 0. You can start another X server with different number (e.g. startx -- :1 or whatever number is not used yet).

erik