Re: 2.6.0-test6 -- Huh???

From: bill davidsen
Date: Wed Oct 01 2003 - 16:32:20 EST

In article <3F79E7EE.80808@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Scott Robert Ladd <coyote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| I freely admit to being something of a neophyte when it comes to the
| internal details of the Linux kernel. I've been successfully running
| development and test kernels since 2.5.40 or so, and I've never before
| seen anything like the following:
|
| Message from syslogd@Tycho at Tue Sep 30 16:09:01 2003 ...
| Tycho vmunix: ris/b/la/up.us0:rr - rdi ptests
|
| Message from syslogd@Tycho at Tue Sep 30 16:09:01 2003 ...
| Tycho vmunix: dreruscls/blc:bl: ro-1eangriertas
|
| Message from syslogd@Tycho at Tue Sep 30 16:09:01 2003 ...
| Tycho vmunix: ris//cs/lp: lper -rengin sus>dersbasus.csb: or9
| diprerat<3iv/u/cs/lp up0rr-1eag ntsts
|
| Message from syslogd@Tycho at Tue Sep 30 16:09:01 2003 ...
| Tycho vmunix: ris//cs/lp up0rr -rengin sus>dersbassbc:bl: or9
| diprerat<3iv/ucl/up. up0rr-1eag ntsts
|
| The above messages appeared in a root terminal running from Gnome, while
| I was outside replacing fuses in my truck. Given that my truck is not
| yet running Linux or connected to my network (give me time...), I'm at a
| loss as to what caused the above, and what it means.
|
| Polite illumination will be most graciously appreciated.

The lines are caused by a message such as is sent by the 'write'
command, I suspect something on your system might have an unhappy script
which is abusing that command or using the same mechanism to send you
this information. I think the sender is telling you "I am so confused"
at this point.
--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc