sys_vserver

From: Chris Wright
Date: Wed Oct 01 2003 - 13:53:07 EST

I'm surprised to see this merged, even as a place holder. Primarily
because the same approach was soundly rejected for LSM and sys_security.

For 2.6 I'd like to do things right. At the moment the vserver patch
has sys_new_s_context and sys_set_ipv4root calls, but since we'll
probably end up getting an ipv6 call too and people are planning future
functionality, I guess it would be more appropriate to multiplex these
through one sys_vserver patch, in the same way sys_ipc works.

Multiplexing, future functionality, etc...this reasoning was shot down
before. The preferred method was to have well-typed interfaces that
are simple and not overloaded. Any chance some of these needs could be
met with existing infrastructure in 2.6? For example, similar to the
sys_new_s_context issue was resolved for LSM with the /proc/pid/attr/
interface, could this be reused?

I'm not trying to instigate a flame, just understand where this is
going. Sorry if I missed the discussion already.

thanks,
-chris
--
Linux Security Modules http://lsm.immunix.org http://lsm.bkbits.net