Linux 2.5 (>>2.5.62)/2.6 keyboard oddity

From: beh
Date: Wed Oct 01 2003 - 13:08:39 EST

Since quite some time I upgraded to the latest kernel
(2.6.0-test6). Up until a few days ago, I'd been using 2.5.62
(originally needed to upgrade 2.4->2.5 for better USB palmsync
support).

Since the upgrade, I am experiencing some oddities regarding
keyboard handling - and it's definetely not a hardware problem (the
problem is there consistently in 2.6.0 and consistently NOT present
in 2.5.62).

The problem shows up like this - under X, I have a number of
keyboard bindings to start a few applications (xterm, mozilla,
pine, ...).

Since the upgrade to 2.6, sometimes, a key combination doesn't
work; or gets triggered 3 or 4 times...
Also, when the input focus is still in a text window, I see, that
sometimes, ctrl+alt don't react properly (e.g. input focus is on an
xterm - I press CTRL+ALT+m to start mozilla through a binding,
mozilla doesn't get started - instead an 'm' appears in the xterm
(showing that at least the CTRL didn't make it... ;-(

The hardware I am experencing problems with, is an IBM Thinkpad
A30p (uses standard AT keyboard drivers).

Any clue, how to fix this?

Benedikt

PATRIOT, n. One to whom the interests of a part seem superior to those
of the whole. The dupe of statesmen and the tool of conquerors.
(Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary)