Re: How to use module in 2.6

From: Jos Hulzink
Date: Wed Oct 01 2003 - 11:16:26 EST

On Wednesday 01 Oct 2003 17:30, Randy.Dunlap wrote:
> On 01 Oct 2003 15:54:00 +0400 ocsy <ocsy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> | Yes i make it))Kernel comile and modules was done (make modules after
> | that make modules_install)And than reboot....
> | But after that I type insmod <module_name> and I see on a screen a
> | LITTLE warning (fatal error) that talk to me module can be load to the
> | kernel becouse it have old format))
>
> insmod module.ko, not insmod module.o
>
> Or (preferable) use modprobe module
>
> | I think than I must look for modutils (witch can support kernell 2.6 new
> | modules format) but I can't find it...
>
> modutils are for before 2.6.
> 2.6 uses module-init-tools only.

Not really an improvement IMHO. The returned errors are unclear, the tools
seem to ignore the verbose command line option. As a result I have been
fighting with ALSA modules, modprobe.conf and modules.conf for days now. I've
not managed to get all dependancies right yet, the only way to get my SB Live
working is loading 20 modules by hand, one at a time... Somehow modprobe
remains complaining about unresolved symbols.

FWIW: 2.6.0 test 6, module-init-tools 0.9.14, mandrake 9.1 with modutils
deinstalled.

Jos