Re: Serial ATA support in 2.4.22

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Wed Oct 01 2003 - 10:16:21 EST

Andrew Marold wrote:
I just got some new Dell Precision 360's, 2 of which have SATA drives
that I'm trying to install RH9 on. I built a new kernel from the 2.4.22
sources, patched with the 2.4.22-ac4 patches. When I boot, linux
recognizes the drives, but hangs doing a partition check. Here's what I
see on the console:

ata1: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0xFE00 ctl 0xFE12 bmdma 0xFEA0 irq 17
ata2: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0xFE20 ctl 0xFE32 bmdma 0xFEA8 irq 17
ata1: dev 0 ATA, max UDMA/133, 234375000 sectors (lba48)
ata1: dev 0 configured for UDMA/133
ata2: port disabled, ignoring.
scsi0: ata_piix
scsi1: ata_piix
Vendor: ATA Model: ST3120026AS Rev: 0.71
Attached scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
SCSI device sda: 234375000 512-byte sectors (120000 MB)
Partition check:
sda:<3>ata1: DMA timeout, stat 0x24

Has this been seen before, or are these boxes just too far out on the
bleeding edge and I'm going to have to wait a while ?

Something appears to be malfunctioning in your system, if you're getting DMA timeouts.

The first thing to do is try the latest versions of libata. libata in -ac and -pac trees is ancient at this point, and I desperately need to send Alan and Bero updates.

Here is the latest Serial ATA driver ("libata"), at its FTP site:
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/jgarzik/libata/

Patches are against BK snapshots of the 2.4 tree, so you may need to manually patch drivers/scsi/Makefile and drivers/scsi/Config.in...

Let me know if you have more trouble after updating the driver.

Jeff

P.S. This driver is also shipped in Fedora Core beta 2 (a.k.a. what would have been Red Hat Linux 10), so libata/ata_piix kernel srpm and rpms are available at
ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/redhat/redhat/linux/beta/severn/en/os/i386/