Re: 2.6.0-test6 scheduling(?) oddness

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Wed Oct 01 2003 - 00:05:17 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:

"Murray J. Root" <murrayr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The render finishes in the same 30 minutes, then oowriter starts.
oowriter takes about 3 seconds to load if no rendering is going on.

OpenOffice uses sched_yield() in strange ways which causes it to
get hopelessly starved on 2.6 kernels. I think RH have a fixed version,
but I don't know if that has propagated into the upstream yet.

OK. Aside from the OpenOffice issue, you still have povray taking 50%
longer to complete, which is quite remarkable if its single threaded and
nothing else is running. Maybe its not the scheduler change? Anyway,
Con will want to know exactly which version of his scheduler you used in
test5 to check for possibilities.