Re: PCI probe, please CC hamilton@sedsystems.ca

From: Kendrick Hamilton
Date: Mon Sep 15 2003 - 18:21:51 EST

Greg,
We don't have a hardware address to use. What I am looking for is a way to tie it to the slot number. Is there any way of getting the slot number?
Kendrick

Greg KH wrote:

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 04:58:39PM -0600, Kendrick Hamilton wrote:

Hello,
we are using the Linux 2.2.16 kernel (some of the code we purchased does not work with 2.4.x kernels and we would have to do a lot of regression testing to upgrade) on an IBM e-server. We wrote a module for a modulator card we are using. The code uses pci_find_device to find the modulator cards. The problem we are having is that it finds the cards in different orders. One time hss0 is the card in slot 4 and hss1 is the card in slot5. The next time we power up the computer, hss0 is the card in slot5 and hss1 is the card in slot 4.
The IBM e-server has about 5 PCI bridges.
Do you have any suggestion as to how I might be able to ensure the cards are always detected in the same order? Our system requires that they always be in the same order.

Are the pci device ids different across different boots? If not, is
there any way you can tie a specific device to a specific interface
(unique hardware addresses, mac addresses, etc.)?

thanks,

greg k-h