Re: atyfb still broken on 2.4.23-pre4 (on sparc64)

From: David S. Miller
Date: Mon Sep 15 2003 - 16:50:54 EST

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 12:58:26 +0200 (CEST)
Daniël Mantione <daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Please, can we revert your changes if we can't fix Sparc quickly?
>
> Well, the problem is, there are really a *lot* of chips sold which I
> fixed.

And you broke one of the primary users of the atyfb driver,
the sparc64 platform.

We don't even get a console if this driver is non-functional,
that's the part you don't understand. On x86 one can at least
use the VGA or Vesa drivers, we simply don't have that option.

So effectively, you've made 2.4.23-preX completely nonusable for
the vast majority of sparc64 users.

> Well, the only way to fix this is to work with you of course.

Your change is a major regression and we should revert it until
the kinks are worked out.