Re: Need fixing of a rebooting system

From: Kevin Breit
Date: Mon Sep 15 2003 - 15:54:16 EST

Chris Meadors wrote:

On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 14:27, Kevin Breit wrote:

I disabled ACPI and that didn't help. I reenabled it now and I'm
looking for other options to disable. But I don't know where to start. Any suggestions?

What CPU are you running on? It isn't an Opteron is it? I saw the same
thing with the NUMA support for the AMD64.

Use "make menuconfig" and have a look at all the options under the first
few menus. Make sure your CPU and power management options look right
for your machine. When in doubt read the help text for the option, it
is sometimes very helpful.

/proc/cpuinfo says:

model name: Celeron (Coppermine)

So my configuration for the first 5 main menu items that are enabled in makeconfig are:

* Prompt for developer and/or incomplete code/drivers
* Select only drivers expected to compile cleanly
* Select only drivers that don't need compile-time external firmware

* Support for paging of anonymous memory
* System V IPC
* BSD Process Accounting
* Sysctl support
* Subarchitecture Type (PC-compatible)
* Processor family (Pentium-II/Celeron(pre-Coppermine))
* Preemptible Kernel
* Machine Check Exception
* /dev/cpu/microcode
* /dev/cpu/*/msr
* /dev/cpu/*/cpuid
* BIOS Enhanced Disk Drive calls determine boot disk
* Power Management support
*Full ACPI Support (minus the ASUS Laptop Extras and Toshiba Laptop Extras)

Do you see anything in that list which I should look into ditching first?

Thanks

Kevin Breit