Re: Swsusp weirdness with ACPI

From: Patrick Mochel
Date: Mon Sep 15 2003 - 12:07:05 EST

> Here is my /proc/acpi/sleep:
> S0 S3 S4 S4bios S5
>
> - 0 doesn't seem to do anything.

0 is 'On'. It will not do anything.

> - 3 will ONLY 'suspend' my laptop if all my USB devices are disconnected
> and I have removed my PCMCIA cards.

Do you physically have to remove the devices or can you simply remove the
modules?

> Furthermore, it won't resume. The fan will spin up, etc., but the LCD
> will not turn on.

Noted. This is a common problem that we're trying to get to the bottom of.

> - 4 nearly works. When it's suspending there will be an oops that flies
> by too quickly to read. It will turn off though, but when I reboot it,
> my swap partition will have been hosed:
>
> "Unable to find swap-space signature" when trying to swapon
>
> "PM: Reading swsusp image.
> swsusp: Resume From partition: hda7, Device: unknown-block(0,0)
> Resume Machine: Error -6 resuming
> PM: Resume from disk failed." when I try to resume.
>
> I have to mkswap it again for stuff to work.

Interesting. That backtrace and the cause (whether it's an actual Oops, a
BUG() or a WARN_ON()) is important. Is there anyway you could hook up a
serial console to capture the output?

Also, if you're willing, I would recommend trying 2.6.0-test5-mm2, which
will allow you to try the original swsusp code (via /proc/acpi/sleep)
independently of the more recent suspend-to-disk code (via
/sys/power/state).

Thanks,

Pat