Re: Oops on 2.4.22 when mounting from broken NFS server

From: Russell Coker
Date: Mon Sep 15 2003 - 11:25:24 EST

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 01:38, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> Without a tcpdump, there's no way to know why this dumped. In what way
> was the NFS server broken, and exactly how do you expect the Linux NFS
> client to protect you against it?

The NFS server was unable to read the directories it was exporting, so it
would allow the mount command but then fail to do anything.

I expect the NFS client to behave sensibly in the face of all possible server
errors, including the possibility of a hostile NFS server.

> BTW: that Oops you posted looked very much like a memory corruption
> problem. Were you running vanilla 2.4.22 on the client, or was it too
> patched?

It was also patched. I will try and reproduce the error with an unpatched
kernel and a tcpdump running.

--
http://www.coker.com.au/selinux/ My NSA Security Enhanced Linux packages
http://www.coker.com.au/bonnie++/ Bonnie++ hard drive benchmark