2.6.0-test4 consumes more power than 2.4?

From: Mario Lang
Date: Mon Sep 15 2003 - 09:30:11 EST

Hi.

While reviewing 2.6 on my laptop, I noticed something
very odd. Average power consumption is about
200 mA higher compared to 2.4.

I measure this via the /proc/acpi/battery/*/state interface.

Under 2.4, when idle my laptop consumes about
720mA, sometimes even below that.

Under 2.6, the average idle power consumption is about
900mA.

iN both kernels, I have set Performance state 1
(400mhz) before measuring the average power consumption.

Can anyone confirm this observation?

If so, what is causing this? 200mA is quite a lot of difference,
and if this is a true measurement (no ACPI bug),
this might be a serious problem for laptop users.

--
CYa,
Mario