RE: 2.6.0-test5: intermittent crash on chvt to X; was console lost to Ctrl+Alt+F$n in 2.6.0-test5

From: Pat LaVarre
Date: Sun Sep 14 2003 - 14:02:11 EST

> If it is specific to -test5, post (as tar.bz2)

Definitely not specific to 2.6.0-test5: I have
repeatedly seen 2.6.0-test4 crash this way too.

Whether I have had this vulnerability for days or
weeks or months or years I am not yet sure, I do not
customarily make a point of trying chvt much with each
new kernel.

Unless I hear otherwise, hopefully within hours, when
next I manage to visit my console in person:

1) I will test to see if the script can crash:

2.6.0-test4 with my near default .config
2.4.22 with my near default .config
2.4.21-xfs Knoppix booted via cd

2) After the reboot following a crash of 2.6.0-test5 I
will sample:

lspci -v
/var/log/dmesg
X version and driver info from /var/log/XFree86.log
.config

3) I will report back here, attaching (2) as .tar.bz2.

Pat LaVarre