Re: [2.6 patch] add a config option for -Os compilation

From: Russell King
Date: Sun Sep 14 2003 - 09:57:36 EST

On Sun, Sep 14, 2003 at 03:21:43PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 14, 2003 at 01:33:49PM +0100, Russell King wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 14, 2003 at 02:16:56PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > > The patch below adds a config option OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE for telling gcc
> > > to use -Os instead of -O2. Besides this, it removes constructs on
> > > architectures that had a -Os hardcoded in their Makefiles.
> >
> > I'd rather retain the -Os default for ARM please. (The init/Kconfig
> > defaults it to 'n' for everything.)
>
> Below is the patch with the ARM part omitted.

But it doesn't make sense - you include a generic configuration option
which people will see, yet it makes no effect on ARM - seems to be rather
silly putting it there in the first place.

Also, do users particularly care what -Os and -O2 mean?

Maybe you need to change init/Kconfig to be something like the following,
and reinstate the change to the ARM makefile:

config OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE
bool "Optimize for size" if EXPERIMENTAL
default n if !ARM
default y if ARM
help
Enabling this option will cause the compiler to reduce the code
size of the kernel by disabling certain optimisations. However,
the resulting kernel may run faster due to more efficient
cache utilisation.

If unsure, say N.

--
Russell King (rmk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/personal/