test5 and JFS on /: problems, anyone?

From: Fabio Coatti
Date: Sat Sep 13 2003 - 12:18:09 EST

I'm using JFS on / partition on a couple of machines and when I've installed
2.6.0-test5 I've got fs corruption on both. I can't say if the problems are
happened during normal operation or at boot time, but I've noticed it only
after a reboot. Some files disappeared (i.e. /etc/X11/Xsession), some others
unreadable or inaccessible to any operation apart ls (lsattr, chattr, chown,
cat, and so on, with permission denied); for example on both systems
/var/lock/subsys was missing. Now fsck locks indefinitely at pass 1 and the
same happens during operations that requires access to some files (i.e. rpm
--rebuilddb), but ctrl-c works and the process is terminated.
Machines are quite similar but not exactly the same:
P IV on both, one with SMP kernel (for HT processor); on one machine I've got
jfs utils rev. 1.0.24 and 1.1.2 on the other.
On the same HW test4 works just fine on this respect, I've recompiled test5
using the same config of test4 (make oldconfig).
No HW errors on dmesg.
I would like to know if someone else is having problmes with test5 and JFS or
if this is only bad luck :)
I've still the corrupted FS handy so I can made some checks, if needed.

--
Fabio Coatti http://www.ferrara.linux.it/members/cova
Ferrara Linux Users Group http://ferrara.linux.it