DMA for ide-scsi?

From: Mikael Pettersson
Date: Sat Sep 13 2003 - 06:02:52 EST

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 08:29:18 +0200, Jens Axboe <axboe@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Actually with 2.6, you no longer need ide-scsi. You'll need to upgrade
>> your cdrecord tools and probably your burning GUI, if you use one. I've
>> been burning that way for several months now. (I'm using xcdroast,
>> though I need to start it with "-n" since I'm using cdrecord 2.01a18.)
>> This actually works better for me than ide-scsi as for some reason it
>> uses less CPU.
>
>That's because it _is_ faster. It contains no silly memory allocations
>for the buffer and data copying in the kernel, the data is mapped from
>the user buffer and DMA'ed directly from there. It also uses DMA where
>ide-scsi wont.

That begs the question: why won't ide-scsi do DMA?
I understand you'd rather see it disappear (:->) but since I use
it for other ATAPI devices as well, I'd like to see it maintained
and fully operational. Having DMA in ide-scsi would be nice.

(And the concept of using a SCSI API to ATA devices is in itself
not broken, even if the implementation has some problems.)

/Mikael