Re: [patch] 2.6.0-test5: serio config broken?

From: Roman Zippel
Date: Fri Sep 12 2003 - 12:05:12 EST

Hi,

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 04:04:48PM -0700, Tom Rini wrote:
> >
> > Okay. The following Kconfig illustrates what I claim to be a bug.
> > config A
> > bool "This is A"
> > select B
> >
> > config B
> > bool "This is B"
> > # Or, depends C=y
> > depends C
> >
> > config C
> > bool "This is C"
> >

> > Running oldconfig will give:
> > This is A (A) [N/y] (NEW) y
> > This is C (C) [N/y] (NEW) n
> > And in .config:
> > CONFIG_A=y
> > CONFIG_B=y
> > # CONFIG_C is not set
> >
> > I claim that this should in fact be:
> > CONFIG_A=y
> > CONFIG_B=y
> > CONFIG_C=y
>
> The problem is that select ignores dependencies.
>

> Unfortunately, your proposal wouldn't work easily,

Sometimes it's even impossible, e.g. if choice values are involved. It can
get even more complex, as a config symbol can be defined multiple times
and the dependencies belong to the prompt not to the symbol. Letting
select look at all the dependencies, would let the complexity explode.
Right now the simplest solution is to either let A select everything or B
uses select instead of depends.

bye, Roman