Re: [RFC] Enabling other oom schemes

From: Rahul Karnik
Date: Thu Sep 11 2003 - 23:41:05 EST

Chris Friesen wrote:
If you have real, true strict overcommit, then it can cause you to have errors much earlier than expected.

I was referring to the "strict overcommit" mode described in Documentation/vm/overcommit-accounting. To me, it sounded like it was describing modes that were alternatives to the proposed kernel panic on oom, and I was merely suggesting we use the same /proc/sys/vm method to specify oom behavior (maybe a string rather than numeric codes in case we have several such options in the future). Apologies if this is not related to what Rusty is talking about.

Thanks,
Rahul
--
Rahul Karnik