Re: Reiser3/4 & Ext2/3 was: First impressions of reiserfs4

From: Rogier Wolff
Date: Thu Sep 11 2003 - 17:51:51 EST

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 09:27:40PM +0400, Oleg Drokin wrote:
> > > as are superblock, journal and journal header.
> > How many superblocks are there in reiser3? Also, the bitmap locations are
>
> One superblock.

As we've experienced that it's possible to lose the one-and-only
superblock, I would recommend that you build a backup superblock
in the future. Of course you're going to argue that some parameters
constantly change in the superblock so that it would mean a performance
penalty to have two of them. Well, the backup superblock should
be marked and used as such: It will allow a more "easy" recovery
of the filesystem parameters, should the primary be "gone", but
it should not interfere with "normal operation". So, feel free to
only update it once every ten minutes or so. Or just initialize
it and only write it when the fs is unmouted. Or don't update it
at all. But no backup superblock, is just plain wrong.

Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff@xxxxxxxxxxxx ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2600998 **
**** "Linux is like a wigwam - no windows, no gates, apache inside!" ****