Re: Linux on Intel Server Board SE7501WV2

From: Alan Cox
Date: Thu Sep 11 2003 - 13:49:39 EST

On Iau, 2003-09-11 at 18:39, Yaoping Ruan wrote:
> We plan to install Linux (2.4.21 and later with epoll patch) on an Intel
> Server Board SE7501WV2 with 1 XEON 2.4GHz CPU, 4GB PC2100 DDR memory, and
> a Seagate 120GB ATA 7200RPM harddisk, and use the server box for high
> demand SpecWeb99 tests. Does anyone have any experience on this Server
> Board, and see any compatibility problem here?

It ought to run Specweb99 nicely if you load a tux enabled kernel and
tux enabled web servers on it. The lack of a real disk I/O subsystem may
well hurt a lot though

> An other question about this box is the two on-board Gigabit Network
> Controller. Do they work fine on Linux?

I believe so. Make sure the chips on the board support zero copy and
also interrupt mitigation, preferably also that NAPI capable drivers are
used if you are benching.