Re: [linux-dvb] Possible kernel thread related crashes on 2.4.x

From: Johannes Stezenbach
Date: Thu Sep 11 2003 - 06:43:12 EST

Andrew de Quincey wrote:
> Hi, I've been having fatal oopses with some of my DVB receiver systems
> when restarting streaming recently (i.e. opening/closing DVB devices).
> I've only just got into the office with a debug cable to find out what has happening.
>
> Anyway, here are the important parts of the oops (full oops at end of mail):
> Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address d905a984
> Trace; c011c79c <free_uid+2c/34>
> Trace; c011767b <release_task+2b/16c>
> Trace; c0118337 <sys_wait4+307/390>
> Trace; c0106c03 <system_call+33/38>
>
> Does this look familiar to anyone? I mean specifically this thread on linux-dvb (among others):

I get this crash from time to time, and it was also reported on the
linux-dvb list recently:

But AFAIK there aren't many people who get this, and I didn't find any
possible cause in the DVB drivers.

> Searching about found me this patch on LKML:
> http://hypermail.idiosynkrasia.net/linux-kernel/archived/2003/week04/0468.html
>
> Which I applied to 2.4.21, and which appears to fix the problem. At least,
> I was able to continually restart streaming for 4 hours this afternoon without a problem.
> Previously, I could crash it within 15 minutes.
>
> It seems to be a bug related to kernel threads when starting/stopping them. The DVB drivers
> now do this when a DVB device is opened/closed, although I'm sure they previously left
> them running which would explain why I never saw this behaviour before.

Only the frontend driver core creates one thread per frontend for monitoring.

> My question is: is there a reason the patch has not yet made it into 2.4.x? It is not in
> 2.4.22-pre3.

If this actually fixes kernel_thread() related crashes then please apply to -pre4.

Johannes