Re: [RFC] add kobject to struct module

From: Greg KH
Date: Thu Sep 11 2003 - 01:28:28 EST

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 11:13:25AM +1000, Rusty Russell wrote:

> > > The lifetimes are separate, each controlled by their own reference
> > > count. I *know* this will work even if someone holds a reference to
> > > the kobject (for some reason in the future) even as the module is
> > > removed.
> >
> > Correct me if I'm wrong, but this sounds similar to the networking
> > refcount problem. The reference on the containing object is the
> > interesting one, as far as visibility goes. As long as its positive, the
> > module is active.
>
> There are basically two choices: ensure that the reference count is
> taken using try_module_get() (kobject doesn't have an owner field, so
> it does not match this one), or ensure that an object isn't ever
> referenced after the module cleanup function is called.
>
> In this context, that means that the module cleanup must pause until
> the reference count of the kobject hits zero, so it can be freed.
>
> Implementation below.

Ah, nice catch on that bug. I like this implementation.

On a site note, can't you just use a "struct completion" to use for your
waiting? Or do you need to do something special here?

> BTW, The *real* answer IMHO is (this is 2.7 stuff:)
>
> 1) Adopt a faster, smaller implementation of alloc_percpu (this patch
> exists, needs some arch-dependent love for ia64).
> 2) Use it to generalize the current module reference count scheme to
> a "bigref_t" (I have a couple of these)
> 3) Use that in kobjects.

Hm, I don't know if kobjects really need to get that heavy.

> 4) Decide that module removal is not as important as it was, and not
> all modules need be removable (at least in finite time).
> 5) Use the kobject reference count everywhere, including modules.
>
> This would make everything faster, except for the case where someone
> is actually waiting for a refcount to hit zero: for long-lived objects
> like kobjects, this seems the right tradeoff.

As more people use kobjects, I think we'll see some pretty short
lifespans...

But yes, that's all 2.7 dreams :)

thanks,

greg k-h