/proc/beep

From: Frank Cusack
Date: Wed Sep 10 2003 - 23:15:20 EST

/proc/beep is a kernel tweak that sends beep "signals" to a userspace
process reading the /proc/beep file. There are one or two of these
modules you can find on the Internet. In order to support them the
kernel needs to export kd_mksound.

Would a /proc/beep module be accepted into the main tree? From the
ones I've found, I can understand why they might not be accepted. But
I'm willing to do the [small amount of] work required to get one looking
like other kernel modules.

If not, could at least kd_mksound be exported by default anyway? This
would allow homegrown /proc/beep's to not require any kernel mods.

thx
/fc