Re: People, not GPL [was: Re: Driver Model]

From: James Clark
Date: Wed Sep 10 2003 - 18:37:32 EST

In many ways the original intention of the debate was lost in the battle.
There are a lot of zealots on both sides of the GPL debate - personally, my
undertanding is that the GPL forbids usage restrictions, thus once you
release code under the GPL you cannot control it. This seems especially
important in a project, such as Linux, that has been collaboratively
developmed by a whole community.

The original question was would a binary driver interface allow easier usage
by 'normal' users with any compatible kernel (rather than specific versions)
and perhaps simplify module development cycle?

Would the performance hit involved be worth the potential
compatibility/simplicity?

A lot of people have, assumed that this is a call to arms for binary-only
modules. This is not true although this type of change would make such things
more common.

James