Re: [patch] 2.6.0-test5: serio config broken?

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Wed Sep 10 2003 - 17:19:54 EST

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 03:05:52PM -0700, Tom Rini wrote:

> > > How so? SERIO only selects SERIO_* bits, and INPUT only selects INPUT*
> > > (and, imho, keyboard is input :)) bits.
> >
> > Let's say you remove the X86 dependency in the select in INPUT_KEYBOARD.
>
> You mean:
> select KEYBOARD_ATKBD if STANDARD && X86
> becomes:
> select KEYBOARD_ATKBD if STANDARD
> ?

Yes.

> > If you select SERIO=m on !X86 (with EMBEDDED/STANDARD enabled) this will
> > select KEYBOARD_ATKBD=y...
>
> How? What you pick for SERIO does not select anything in INPUT.
>
> select is 'stronger' than the {bool,tristate} "Foo" if ... usage, so if
> you have broken dependancies you get a different kind of failure (link,
> as opposed to a shot foot) but IMHO it's more correct for restraints
> that are of the form:
> "Don't let the user shoot themseleves in the foot, easily".

There's a dependency between SERIO and KEYBOARD_ATKBD that must be
represented in the config rules.

Let me paraphrase the dependency the other way round (I'm not sure
whether the syntax is 100% correct):

config KEYBOARD_ATKBD
tristate "AT keyboard support" if EMBEDDED || !X86
default y
depends on INPUT_KEYBOARD
select SERIO=m
select SERIO=y if KEYBOARD_ATKBD=y