Re: ACPI patch flow

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Wed Sep 10 2003 - 15:25:55 EST

Brown, Len wrote:
I've re-named the linux-acpi* tree to be linux-acpi-release*; and made
the staging area for the release tree visible -- calling it
linux-acpi-test*

So a 2 stage release is now visible on the net:

cool!

As before, the BK trees live here: http://linux-acpi.bkbits.com If
there is demand for plain patches of the _test_ tree we can probably
also export those on http://sourceforge.net/projects/acpi too, but as
the test tree will change more often, those updates would have to be
on-demand or on significant events.

I definitely support the posting of plain patches, and strongly encourage it. We don't want any barriers at all to people testing the latest ACPI fixes.

May I make a humble suggestion? :) Whenever net driver stuff gets send off, I'll often run a prepared script which will create a GNU diff against mainline, gzip it, and upload it to ftp.kernel.org. That gives the non-BK users patches to play with.

I first considered posting these net driver patches on sourceforge (project: gkernel), but uploads to sourceforge are time-consuming events. You have a upload to an FTP site, then fill out a bunch of forms and click a bunch of buttons. It's a system that _discourages_ frequent software postings, IMO.

So, my suggestion is to get an account on some web/ftp site (kernel.org?) and create a script that combines two tasks (bk push and GNU patch upload) into a single command you run on your local Linux box. Properly scripted, posting a patch shouldn't be any more work than pushing to your new test tree. And IMHO you will reap the benefits.

Jeff