Re: [2.4] siimage locks hard on high load

From: Justin Cormack
Date: Wed Sep 10 2003 - 07:54:46 EST

On Fri, 2003-09-12 at 12:44, Witold Krecicki wrote:
> I've got Asus a7n8x deluxe with on-board Silicon Image SATA and 2xBarracuda
> 120GB connected to it in software RAID array.
> On high disk load (e.g. cp -Rf /usr/src/linux somewhere_else) kernel locks
> hard after about 10 seconds (magic sysrq is not working).
> It happens only when DMA is enabled.
> /dev/hda:
> multcount = 16 (on)
> IO_support = 1 (32-bit)
> unmaskirq = 1 (on)
> using_dma = 1 (on)
> keepsettings = 0 (off)
> readonly = 0 (off)
> readahead = 16 (on)
> geometry = 14593/255/63, sectors = 234441648, start = 0
>
> Also, I'm not really satisfied with speed of this array:
> /dev/md1:
> Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 1.77 seconds = 36.16 MB/sec
> Any solutions/fixes?

Cant help you on the lockups (I havent seen this myself), but the
performance is due to the workaround that sets max_kb_per_request to 15
for siimage. On some drives (Western digital, maxtor) this only cuts the
performance by 10-15MB/s or so but on the Seagates it completely trashes
performance (you can easily test this but you may get data
corruption...).

A proper bug fix rather than a workaround would be nice (unless this
isnt possible). Are the docs for this chipset actually available and is
a bug fix possible? (Alan/Andre should know).

Justin