Re: Scaling noise

From: Alan Cox
Date: Wed Sep 10 2003 - 06:39:37 EST

On Mer, 2003-09-10 at 11:01, John Bradford wrote
> Of course, you would be right if we were talking about current
> microcomputer architectures. I was talking about the possibility of
> current mainframe technologies being implemented in future
> microcomputer architectures.

1U fits 4 lower powered PC systems.

> Today, it is perfectly acceptable, normal, and commonplace to run hot
> spares of various images on a single Z/Series box.

> The hardware is fault tollerant by design. Only extreme events like a
> fire or flood at the datacentre

Or a bunch of suspicious looking people claiming to be from EDS and
helping themselves to your mainframe (See .AU customs 8))

The virtue of S/390 is more IMHO that it wont make mistakes. The
distributed PC solution is more likely to be available.

Which matters sometimes depends whether you are running websites or
a bank