Re: [RFC] add kobject to struct module

From: Rusty Russell
Date: Wed Sep 10 2003 - 03:11:41 EST

In message <20030910041122.GE9760@xxxxxxxxx> you write:
> On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 01:31:02PM +1000, Rusty Russell wrote:
> > Because kobject does not have a "struct module *owner", we can't
> > simply add in the refcount.
>
> Um, I don't understand. There is no "struct module *owner in struct
> kobject. There is one in struct attribute, but I don't set it, so it
> doesn't matter for this usage.

Your parser broke, I think 8)

> > The module reference count is defined to never go from zero to one
> > when the module is dying, which means callers must use
> > try_module_get(). I grab the reference on read/write, which means
> > opening the file won't hold the module, either.
>
> read/write of what? The attribute? Sure, why not set the module
> attribute sysfs file to the module that way the reference count will be
> incremented if the sysfs file is opened.

Hmm, because there's one attribute: which module would own it? You're
going to creation attributes per module later (for module parameters),
so when you do that it might make sense to do this too.

> But in looking at your patch, I don't see why you want to separate the
> module from the kobject? What benefit does it have?

The lifetimes are separate, each controlled by their own reference
count. I *know* this will work even if someone holds a reference to
the kobject (for some reason in the future) even as the module is
removed.

> > Were you intending to put all the info currently in /proc/modules
> > under sysfs? Makes sense I think. For the options you'll need a
> > subdir to avoid name clashes.
>
> Yes, I was going to add it, this patch was more of a "test" to see how
> receptive you were to it.

More more! 8)

Thanks,
Rusty.