Re: 2.6.0-test4-mm5 and Warcraft III - WineX

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Wed Sep 10 2003 - 00:08:58 EST

Tony Jones wrote:

In my testing of recent kernels 2.6.0-test5 and 2.6.0-test4-mm4 (mm6
wouldn't cooperate with X for some reason and I didn't do much
investigation) I've experied an easily replicable and highly annoying
problem with Warcraft III and WineX 3.1 (prebuilt).

After playing 1 or 2 games, or leaving the game idle in the chat room,
the sound will eventually start to stutter and chop badly. In the
presence of this incredibly bad sound, the mouse and game respond just
fine (kudos to the scheduler on that point). Considering the game is
played in "real-time" and is full of audio cues I hate to imagine that
Con's scheduler will be the "official" scheduler of 2.6 without having
this issue addressed.

The kernels I use are tainted with nvidia's video drivers, 1.0.4496.

Nick's scheduler in 2.6.0-test4-mm5 seems to be the only thing capable
of correcting this problem. In general operation, mm5's scheduler
seems better at handling about everything I threw at it, with a rare
xmms skip once in a week of use.

I'm not a developer but I'd love some feedback and or questions to
help figure out why this happens with Con's scheduler patches in mm4
and test5 to help improve 2.6.0 altogether.

Actually, I'd love some feedback from you.
Use this: http://www.kerneltrap.org/~npiggin/v14/sched-rollup-v14.gz
It will apply against 2.6.0-test4 or test5 (not mm). See how you go.

Thanks