Re: inode generation numbers

From: Bernd Schubert
Date: Tue Sep 09 2003 - 17:58:49 EST

On Tuesday 09 September 2003 22:07, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> On Sep 09, 2003 21:08 +0200, Bernd Schubert wrote:
> > for a user space nfs-daemon it would be helpful to get the inode
> > generation numbers. However it seems the fstat() from the glibc doesn't
> > support this, but refering to some google search fstat() from some (not
> > all) other unixes does.
> > Does anyone know how to read those numbers from userspace with linux?
>
> For ext2/ext3 filesystems you can use EXT2_GET_VERSION ioctl for this.

regarding to fs/ext2/ioctl.c it should be EXT2_IOC_GETVERSION, shouldn't it?

> Maybe reiserfs as well.

Hello,

thanks a lot, it seems to work pretty well.
Since I have never used the ioctl() call before I only want to be sure I don't
do something wrong, I think this is correct, isn't it?

int ret, igen;
ret = ioctl(fd, EXT2_IOC_GETVERSION, &igen);

It also works for reiserfs-partitions with the very same call, @reiserfs-team,
this won't change in the future, will it?

Cheers,
Bernd