Re: linux 2.4.X and Rocket 1540 SATA

From: Dale Blount
Date: Tue Sep 09 2003 - 16:03:11 EST

On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 13:27, Dale Blount wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to get a HighPoint Rocket SATA (4 port) card working with
> kernel 2.4.X. Currently it hangs just after detecting hdc (IDE cdrom).
> If I append hdg=noprobe hdi=noprobe, etc the box boots fine, but the
> SATA drives are no where to be found. I'm currently using 2.4.22-ac1 to
> support the onboard intel SATA which works fine.
>
> I'm not sure what other information you'd need to help me debug this,
> but I'm willing to provide whatever is needed.

I hate to reply to myself, but I've realized more information may be
needed. The HPT card uses the hpt374 chip (ATA chipset that has had
linux support for at least a year or so). I've also tried disabling the
onboard PATA ports (incase they are stomping on ideX) with no success.
I noticed in the kernel config help that the hpt366 driver requires
"ide-probe" during boot, which is probably why noprobe lets the
boot-process continue but kills the drive's access.

This is the last line in the boot process when it hangs:
hdc: ATAPI 52X CD-ROM drive, 120kB Cache, DMA

Is there anyway to figure out why this card doesn't work?

Thanks again,

Dale