Re: Use of AI for process scheduling

From: Timothy Miller
Date: Tue Sep 09 2003 - 09:53:10 EST

Rick Lindsley wrote:
Yeah, I didn't think his comment was very helpful since I thought it was clear that I was working on a draft of an IDEA.

How complex is your thinking where *ideas* need drafts? :)

It wasn't so much complex as it was _vague_. :)

[snip]
However, once we characterize "what we want" we might be able to
communicate it (and code it) to the kernel. To that end, here's an
update on scheduler statistics code. In testing, it's proved fairly
non-intrusive and may provide some answers to "what we want". If it
doesn't, it's fairly extensible if done carefully.

http://eaglet.rain.com/rick/linux/schedstat/

This patch (against 2.6.0-test4 or 2.6.0-test5) collects data about
scheduler decisions, which may allow us, with 20/20 hindsight, to
determine which specific decisions we don't like and perhaps how to
modify them.

Now, THIS is the kind of thing I wanted to see! Very cool. My thought then is that it might be helpful to have some tools to help analyze this raw data. I'm sure you thought of that already. :)