Re: [2.4 patch] fix CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT

From: Manfred Spraul
Date: Mon Sep 08 2003 - 14:47:46 EST

Jeff Garzik wrote:

Yes; I've lost the specific context of the thread, but I have been
working on MWI/cacheline size issues along with IvanK for a while.

Context: Peter experiences very bad network performance with 2.4.22 - it looks like 99% packet drop or something like that. The packet drop disappears if CONFIG_L1_CACHE_SHIFT is set to 7 (i.e. 128 byte cache line size). 2.4.21 works.
The network cards are some kind of atm cards. Several systems are affected - at least Pentium II and PPro systems.

Peter: what's the exact brand and nic driver that you use? Could you try to figure out what exactly breaks? I'd use "ping -f -s 1500", perhaps together with "tcpdump -s 1500 -x" on both ends.

--
Manfred