Re: Power Management Update

From: Éric Brunet
Date: Sun Sep 07 2003 - 04:55:43 EST

Hello,

I have been testing swsusp to disk on my computer using kernel
2.6.0-test4 + Patrick Mochel's main PM patch (posted on lkml on aug 31) +
IDE PM fix from benh (posted on lkml by P. Mochel on sep 2)

I found that my computer is able to suspend to disk if I boot with
init=/bin/sh, but not with a normal boot. I tried swsusp with a normal
boot (Xfree, kde, ...) but after removing several modules form
/lib/modules, to see which modules make problems. What I found:

* swsusp doesn't like accelerated graphics. If the following modules are
loaded:
i830 68120 20
intel_agp 14744 1
agpgart 25640 3 intel_agp
resuming fails. (Different kind of failures, from spontaneous reboot to
kernel panic.) I could try to pinpoint more precisely which module
causes trouble.

* Apart from that, the computer can suspend and come back to life !
Modules loaded:
snd_mixer_oss 16768 3
binfmt_misc 8200 1
autofs 12928 0
ne2k_pci 8288 0
8390 8576 1 ne2k_pci
snd_virmidi 3584 2
snd_seq_virmidi 5632 1 snd_virmidi
ipchains 48080 15
ide_cd 36736 0
cdrom 33312 1 ide_cd
loop 13192 14
hid 30272 0
ehci_hcd 21120 0
uhci_hcd 27656 0
usbcore 91348 5 hid,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd
However, the mouse is not working anymore (mouse is usb, the only usb
device connected) nor network on eth1 (I haven't tried eth0.)
Here are the last lines of the log after resuming:
Restarting tasks...<6>usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 2 done
PM: Removing info for usb:1-1:0
PM: Removing info for usb:1-1
hub 1-0:0: debounce: port 1: delay 100ms stable 4 status 0x301
eth1: mismatched read page pointers 3c vs 66.
eth1: mismatched read page pointers 4c vs d7.
eth1: mismatched read page pointers 4c vs d7.
eth1: mismatched read page pointers 4c vs d7.
eth1: mismatched read page pointers 4c vs d7.
eth1: mismatched read page pointers 4c vs d7.
eth1: mismatched read page pointers 4c vs d7.
eth1: mismatched read page pointers 4c vs d7.
eth1: mismatched read page pointers 4c vs d7.
hub 1-0:0: new USB device on port 1, assigned address 3
usb 1-1: control timeout on ep0out
eth1 is
01:08.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8029(AS)
Subsystem: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8029(AS)
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 20
Region 0: I/O ports at c800 [size=32]

A last point; lates patch from P. Mochel (posted on Sep 3, supposed to
fix configuration with preempt enabled) completely prevents me from
suspending to disk.

Many data on my computer (.config, lspci, dsdt) available on
http://perso.nerim.net/~tudia/bug-reports/

Éric Brunet