Re: Driver Model 2 Proposal - Linux Kernel Performance v Usability

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Fri Sep 05 2003 - 16:18:03 EST

What you said:

> FUD. It mostly works, sometimes it doesn't, but in total the number of
> > working hours of PRODUCTIVE use from it is many orders of magnitude
> > greater. Multiple the number of Windows users in the world by their
> > working time and then do the same for Linux!

Oh.. so now you're complaining that I pointed out that even a system that's
down 40% of the time meets *YOUR* criteria if enough more people run it?

In fact, if the number of Windows users is 100 times the number of Linux users,
and Linux is 98% reliable, then Windows only needs to make about 2% reliable
to win by your criteria. OK, you want to complain about the 100? Make it
500M windows and 50M linux, and Linux 98% reliable, then Windows only
needs to make 10% uptime to win by your criteria.

My point is that your criteria of "total aggregate uptime" doesn't prove anything
between diddly and squat about the actual reliability of the system.