Re: Fix up power managment in 2.6

From: Rob Landley
Date: Fri Sep 05 2003 - 14:04:32 EST

On Friday 05 September 2003 14:02, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 10:47:49AM -0700, Patrick Mochel wrote:
> > > the power LED still on and the hibernate light off, and the thing's a
> > > brick at that point; the only thing you can do is hold the power button
> > > down for ten seconds or pop the battery to get it to boot back up from
> > > scratch.) So I have to shut the sucker down every time I want to move
> > > it, which is a pain...
> >
> > What model is it? It probably doesn't support APM at all. I can't
> > guarantee that ACPI suspend/resume will work on it, but I'm interested to
> > see if it does..
>
> Note that a lot of ThinkPads out in the field need a BIOS update
> before their ACPI is working. (I know this because IBM was quite
> helpful and proactive in addressing their Linux-related ACPI BIOS
> issues)
>
> Jeff

ACPI currently works fine in terms of IRQ routing, sensing when the lid closes
and the power button gets pressed, telling me how much battery power is left
and when I disconnect the AC adapter from the wall...

I was hoping software suspend would avoid having to have IBM firmware involved
in the suspend process at all (it can boot, it can shut down, I just want it
to snapshot process state so it comes up with the same things up on the
desktop as last time).

And then if I just get alsa configured I'll have every single thing on my new
laptop working under 2.6. (Well, okay, then I'll need to tackle USB. But
every single thing I've tried to use so far, anyway. :)

P.S. I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally hate it the way the keys on the keyboard
sometimes have an up event delayed (or miss it entirely) and decide to
auto-repeat insanely fast. It happens about twice an hour. I've seen mouse
clicks do it as well. Not a show-stopper, just annoying.

Okay, once it did it during boot, and the beast was unusable. X recovers when
you hit the next key, the console apparently does not.

Rob