Re: Driver Model 2 Proposal - Linux Kernel Performance v Usability

From: Alan Cox
Date: Thu Sep 04 2003 - 16:43:29 EST

On Iau, 2003-09-04 at 22:12, James Clark wrote:
> If a relatively small kernel component can be turned on/off and upgraded at
> will, without changing ANYTHING else, this would be a big step forward.

It already can, the install tool just happens to involve invoking gcc
and wrapping it nicely. People have already solved that. I'm actually
less worried in some ways about the binary only module wrapper question
because source wrappers around a binary module to handle glueing them
together puts the shipper in conflict with a patent filing owned by a
very large hardware company as well as in GPL questionmarks..