Re: precise characterization of ext3 atomicity

From: Hans Reiser
Date: Thu Sep 04 2003 - 16:34:55 EST

Andreas Dilger wrote:

On Sep 04, 2003 22:37 +0400, Hans Reiser wrote:

Mike Fedyk wrote:

And how does reiser4 do this [export atomic ops to userspace]
without changing the userspace apps?

We don't. We just make the hovercraft, we don't force you to go over the water.....

It is possible to do the same with ext3, namely exporting journal_start()
and journal_stop() (or some interface to them) to userspace so the application
can start a transaction for multiple operations. We had discussed this in
the past, but decided not to do so because user applications can screw up in
so many ways, and if an application uses these interfaces it is possible to
deadlock the entire filesystem if the application isn't well behaved.

Yup. That's why we confine it to a (finite #defined number) set of operations within one sys_reiser4 call. At some point we will allow trusted user space processes to span multiple system calls (mail server applicances, database appliances, etc., might find this useful). You might consider supporting sys_reiser4 at some point.

If the app doesn't eventually say "end the transaction", the filesystem might
wait indefinitely. You could start adding more plumbing like "if the file
is closed (maybe because the process crashed), cancel the transaction",
and "if the process doesn't complete the transaction in time, cancel the
transaction", etc. How do you guarantee in advance that the application
will be able to complete all of the operations it needs (i.e. if it runs
out of space in the filesystem or something)?

We will export our space reservation infrastructure code also. We are still thinking about the right API for that. At first I had some idea that we should calculate for the user how much space would be needed, but I am getting lazier as we get closer to actually doing it, and I am thinking we can add the helpful but complex in some cases estimate_sizeof() functions later, and for now just let the user grab space, and then if they exceed it return an error, and if they both exceed it and run out of disk space return a nastier error that tells them to go cope with their mistake. Now I think it will be something that takes a 64 bit int that is the number of blocks to grab, compares it to their quota if any, and causes the sys_reiser4 to do nothing and error nicely if it can't get it.

When coding sometimes you have to be careful not to let the complex needs of the 20% prevent you from getting something that the 80% need and would be happy with to market. (Learned this one from Dave Hitz of NetApp.)

There's a lot of applications that have very simple needs in regards to atomicity, like write 3 things to 3 files as one atom. If we can address that, then later people can do their PhDs on the needs of the complex 20%.... and hopefully send some nice patches.....

I suppose at worst, the application doesn't get its multi-op atomicity
guarantee, but I'm guessing that apps which use this interface depend on
it working properly or they wouldn't be using it.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger

Hans