airo.o problem

From: Ventsislav Genchev
Date: Thu Sep 04 2003 - 11:36:21 EST

I've got a RedHat 9 Linux 2.4.20-20.9 box with Cisco aironet 350 series wireless adapter.
The problem appears when I start tcpdump on that interface. For few second everything seems normal, but after couple of second the traffic hangs down. The signal strength and quolity matter show that it's working just fine, but neither there is ping response or any traffic passes through the interface.
I maintain few linux boxes and noticed that problem with RedHat 8.0.
The latest Redhat distro hasing no problems is 7.3 with kernel 2.4.18-3.
Any latest version hangs down...

here is some informatios as recomended:

lsmod:
airo 49672 1
ne2k-pci 7232 1
8390 8524 0 [ne2k-pci]
8139too 18120 0 (unused)
mii 3976 0 [8139too]
keybdev 2976 0 (unused)
mousedev 5556 0 (unused)
hid 22244 0 (unused)
input 5856 0 [keybdev mousedev hid]
usb-uhci 26412 0 (unused)
usbcore 79040 1 [hid usb-uhci]
ext3 70784 2
jbd 51924 2 [ext3]

There is no indication fot trouble in /var/log/messages

Shell script .. hmm
(install Cisco Aironet 350 Series Wireless Adapter) and run:
#!/bin/bash
modprobe airo
ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1
echo "SSID" > /proc/driver/aironet/eth0/SSID
tcpdump -qn -i eth0

Notice that there must be a traffic going throug the access poit (some other clients must be connected too, and generate traffic). I've tested the situation when only I was a client in that AP and no problem occured. (Hope that will help you)

processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 6
model name : Celeron (Mendocino)
stepping : 5
cpu MHz : 367.507
cache size : 128 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr
bogomips : 734.00

But I may be repeating myself by saying that this is not a single box problem.

Here is the PCI information:

00:14.0 Network controller: AIRONET Wireless Communications PC4800 (rev 01)
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 10
Region 0: Memory at effffe80 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128]
Region 1: I/O ports at d800 [size=128]
Region 2: I/O ports at d600 [size=64]

no SCSI...
no patches or fixes (except that provided by RedHat)

Regards, and please excuse my english...

| Atlantis BG, Ltd. | Ventsislav Genchev |
| http://www.atlantis.bg | E-mail: vigour@xxxxxxxxxxx |