Re: Verified IDE performance issues in kernels newer than 2.4.20

From: K. Hampf
Date: Thu Sep 04 2003 - 08:01:39 EST

FALSE ALARM

I am terribly sorry! I was tired last night when I discovered this issue but
as you guys (Herbert Poetzl, Samuel Flory) made me realize I do need to make
a good report available I realized that the problem was a simple one.

The chipset-specific IDE module didn't load! Even if I probed it it had no
effect, the common IDE driver already narrowed down the bandwidth of the IDE
bus. I just made a test building the IDE chipset drivers non-modular and it
gives full performance again. I do not know exactly what mistake I've made
when selecting all drivers to be modular but they block each other, I have to
investigate that further, due to it still being an issue but I can work on
the newer kernels again.

Thanks for looking at it, I guess I was too tired last night to do a thorough
analysis of it all, won't happen again, next time I'll sleep first, then
report any errors ;)

Best Regards,
K. Hampf

P.S. If anyone knows exactly what has to be modularized along with the
chipset-specific drivers to make them run, please tell ....